When you are pro-war even the abortion doctors call you "baby-killer."

2004-06-27

Proud to be a Conservative Mac User

I used to hide my Conservative nature on the Internet. It just wasn't "cool" to be on the Right, what with Bill Clinton being President and all. Then the firestorm of the 2000 elections really made being a Conservative hard.

Everyone (on the left, in the media) kept saying how Bush stole the election. I'm sorry, was the Constitution rewritten in 1999 to state that the popular vote determined a winner instead of the electoral college? I don't think so.

Now I see a lot more Mac users being openly Conservative. Liberals are heavily represented including within the Macintosh community, perhaps disproportionately so. Maybe it has to do with the "artistic" background of Macs used in media creation, or perhaps the distaste for "commodity" computers or the stuffy "conservative" trends in PeeCees.

Liberals are the ultimate elitists. They want to have an easy life, free of restrictions on themselves while someone else gets taxed into oblivion to pay for social services the "working family" couldn't otherwise afford, so they believe. The Liberals who become insanely wealthy feel tremendous guilt for having so much. So they do the only thing they can, they pimp themselves at charity fundraisers where someone else pays hundreds or thousands of dollars for the privilege of being in the same room as their awesome celebrity selves.

Almost always the celebrity is coerced into attending a fundraiser with insanely expensive gift baskets and tons of free publicity, showing how caring and involved they are in some random cause. Almost never do they volunteer any portion of their own wealth to the cause, of course. That's for someone else to do, don't you know how lucky you are that a famous person like themselves showed up at the circus! You can't be a liberal if you don't have someone else pick up the check!

Perhaps one of the downsides of "coming out" as Conservative was a kind of blacklisting by the Liberal Mac community. I am not going to blame my failure to "make it" entirely on someone else, that's silly. But I do firmly believe I was ignored or overlooked or even proudly ridiculed for being a Conservative in a world of Liberals. You know the ultra-tolerant accepting-of-all group that works so hard at actually not working like the average joe they claim to support.

Lest you think I am making some of this up, I have seen first hand the lies told about me in full public viewing. Lies intended to harm my business and my reputation for lone reason that I am openly Conservative and do not toe the Liberal anti-Bush line. I won't link to the site directly, but it was a site called PerversionTracker.com, started by a bitter young man apparently, to keep track of "bad" software. Kind of like a Dave Winer v2.0 for those who "get" that reference.

I have made mistakes, I accept that. I fully accept that I am not perfect. I do, however, avoid looking at criticism against me for the sake of criticism. I try to fix my mistakes and do the best I can as long as I know about them. Funny how few people point out problems with my site or my software to me. And fewer still say Thank You or Good Job when things are perfect. And for all that I do, I get jack squat in return. That's fine. If people want what I have and are not willing to compensate me or support my efforts in a civil manner I can take my business elsewhere.

I have already started working "behind the scenes" in computer software development. I have two bids in on two new jobs that would equal a months worth of pay at my old job, but for only about 1 1/2 weeks worth of work. Easy money. I may not reach as many people directly this way, but I will still make some kind of impact in the Mac community I have been a part of since 1986.

And I will be making a shitload more money for my work than what I get now pimping myself in the Shareware world.

As Eric Cartman would say: "Screw you guys, I'm goin' home."