When you are pro-war even the abortion doctors call you "baby-killer."

2004-01-26

Filed Under: People who don't get it

Take a look at this angry (not to the level of Howard Dean, more like a Lieberman-level of angry) email I got regarding a simple little software application I created that displays the current Homeland Alert level on a Mac OS X computer:


To Whom it may concern:
I don’t care how small your outfit is or how long it took you to do it..... you have no business whatsoever charging $5 for the homeland security app. If you are going to do it and share it, share it and make it a public service rather than making people think they need to pay to find out the status. I can find it out in 2 seconds without paying a cent, so you should realize the error of your ways in charging for the right to know.

Sincerely,
Scott Kleinberg
Pittsburgh, PA


Let's dissect it a little bit.

I don’t care how small your outfit is or how long it took you to do it ... you have no business whatsoever charging $5 for the homeland security app.

So if I were Microsoft and a team of 20 people made it over the course of a year we do not deserve to be compensated either? Actually it doesn't cost anything to download and use the software. The $5 stipend is totally voluntary (at this point).

What about the costs associated with creating software? Mac OS X updates every year to be on top of things ($130/year), applications to create software (Photoshop, special tools), access to advanced developer info from Apple ($500/year), internet access every month ($40/month), web server hosting ($20-40/month), domain name renewels ($15/year), computer upgrades or replacements every few years ($100 to several thousand). I am supposed to subsidize my software development with what exactly? My regular job only? I don't charge for *everything*, just the things that are really popular, get downloaded a whole lot and take a lot of time to create and support.

A dirty little secret of ShareWare software is that you can expect about a 5% downloads-to-sales conversion rate on average. I don't think many ShareWare authors are going to get "rich" (either in a Dimocrats or reality-based definition of rich) on making and selling $5-10 software. Where the hell did this free-for-all software ideology come from? Oh wait, Linux and Open Source. Nevermind.

If you are going to do it and share it, share it and make it a public service rather than making people think they need to pay to find out the status.

This is a typical ploy by many people trying to force their argument down someone's throat; make claims that you are doing something other than what you really are doing. I don't force anyone into thinking they *must* use my software to determine the Homeland Alert status. I am offering an alternative to polling a website manually in a web browser. And besides its not bundled with other unrelated apps, it can be disabled very easily and it's not linked off the main DHS website as a recommended monitoring utility for Mac OS X users.

I can find it out in 2 seconds without paying a cent, so you should realize the error of your ways in charging for the right to know.

Okay then, you do what you want and everyone else can choose for themselves what to do. You don't have to pay anything. So where is the problem? Again this is a common tactic of the Left (and other ideologies). Basically the Left makes you think they are offering choices when in fact they are restricting what you can choose to things they approve of. Here he suggests that I should offer the feature-specific software for free as the alternative to going to a web site for free. There are no other options in his mind. No room for making money of my efforts and time spent making the damn thing. I cannot decide on my own what to do, he will gladly tell me where I went astray and get angry if I don't toe his line.

Another example: forget about learning abstinence, carrying a baby to term or about all types of contraceptives (the pill) from Planned Parenthood, they only tell you the abortion "options" you have and that's it. Planned Parenthood (wrongly) assumes every woman wants an abortion and not assistance in carrying their baby to term (no pregnancy health care referrals) or in preventing pregnancy via abstinence (instead they give out free condoms) or personal responsibility (instead they give out the morning after pill). My wife experienced this firsthand when newly pregnant with our first child over 7 years ago.

This guy assumes I am wrong and merely need to be corrected. I am wrong in charging for goods/services rendered voluntarily to people who voluntarily accept said goods/services. That is the basis of Capitalism, and its wrong.

I give up on people like this. I should send a bill for all the time and effort spent responding to this stupidity.